Geranium essential oil has many benefits for the mind, body, hair and skin. A member of the Pelargonium genus, geranium is grown for its beauty and is a staple of the perfume industry.
While there are over 200 different varieties of Pelargonium flowers, only a few are used as essential oils.
Uses of Geranium essential oil date back to ancient Egypt when Egyptians used Geranium oil to beautify skin and for other benefits.
In the Victorian era, fresh geranium leaves were placed at formal dining tables as decorative pieces and to be consumed as a fresh sprig if desired; in fact, the edible leaves and flowers of the plant are often used in desserts, cakes, jellies, and teas.
As an essential oil, Geranium has been used to promote the appearance of clear skin and healthy hair—making it ideal for skin and hair care products.
The aroma helps calm nerves and lessen feelings of stress. Geranium is also known to naturally repel insects.
How To Use Geranium Essential Oil
Use in an aromatherapy steam facial to beautify skin.
- Add a drop to your moisturizer for a smoothing effect.
- Geranium is great for both dry and oily hair. Apply a few drops to your shampoo or conditioner bottle, or make your own deep hair conditioner.
- Diffuse aromatically for a calming effect.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of choice. Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with a carrier oil to minimize any skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Benefits of Geranium Essential Oil
- Promotes the appearance of clear, healthy skin
- Naturally repels insects
- Gives hair a vibrant, healthy glow
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
Other Information About Geranium Essential Oil
- Plant Part: Flower/Leaf
- Extraction Method: Steam distillation
- Aromatic Description: Herbaceous, green, floral, sweet, dry
- Main Chemical Components: Citronellol, citronellyl formate, geraniol
With love and gratitude,